Sephora VIB Sale Haul | 2017
This post was long overdue, but November and December were hectic. I am currently at home (holidaying) in Dubai so this post is brought to you by a nice warm climate! It essentially highlights my first impressions of the products I bought during the VIB sale in November as it was the first time I purchased them. The Beauty Insider event was divided into two sale windows. The first one took place between November 3 and 6 exclusively for VIB Rouge members giving them exclusive access to 20% off on all items. This is where damage 1.0 took place where I sort of went nuts! The sale next continued between November 10 and 15 for all Beauty Insider members. VIB Rouge members continued to get a whopping 20% off (in the makeup world, it's a big deal!), VIB members also got 20% off and all other Beauty Insider members got 15% off. Sephora released a blog post explaining the deets. I managed to snag a few more products during the second event between November 10 and 15. I will probably have a mini haul post following this one. Without further adieu, let's discuss the products:
1. Huda Beauty Desert Dusk Eyeshadow Palette - This is the release I've been most excited about. I followed the promotional shoot, initial looks etc. on Huda's Snapchat and I knew I had to get my hands on this one. This palette is reflective of the beautiful hues of Dubai desert sands and sunsets. I love purples and shimmers in general so this is a dream palette for me.
Huda lives in Dubai and I always get excited about her products. The quality is very good. I have the lashes, liquid lipsticks and now this eyeshadow palette from her line and I'm excited to try out her foundation as well. Getting back to this palette, the quality is top notch. The pigmentation is great, the eyeshadows blend well, and they stay put until the end of the day without budging. The textures include matte, shimmer, glitter and duo-chrome shades. It's a self-sufficient palette that has all the shades you need to create a classic or a smoky eye look.
The website recommends layering the duo chromes on the matte ones but even by themselves, they look just as pretty. I remember watching a review where one of the YouTubers said it's difficult to use these with a brush but I didn't face any problems when applying them with a wet brush. I have used the shade Twilight and it added an iridescent glow to the overall look of the eyeshadow. The duo chrome toppers will surely pop when layered on another eyeshadow. I haven't used them with a wet brush yet but even dry, the effect is simply stunning! I have not faced any issues with the mattes, other duo-chromes, and also the glitter eyeshadow when I swatched them. No chalkiness; just smooth eyeshadows. You can also layer the glitter one with any matte eyeshadow. I think this is an awesome palette where if you layer one shadow over the other, you can create some fantastic looks.
From purples and golds to rose golds and reds, this palette is really pretty and worth the $65 tag. It's a 5 out of 5 from me!
2. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation - Wow, that was a mouthful! It took some time for me to get this beauty because my shade was out of stock online and in store. In a way, that worked for me since I used that time to test the samples to see which shade worked best for my skin tone. I was excited about this line because of Rihanna.
The fact that the products are good quality seals the deal for me. There are so many shades so Rihanna has done a great job to include people of all colors! Cover FX's Natural Finish Foundation has a ton of shades to choose from, hence, I am partial towards that brand and it's good to see now that Fenty Beauty and Huda Beauty are making sure that they create shades for everyone. I was given the shades 310 and 330 to test. The Sephora representative first tried 310 on me as she said the foundation tends to oxidize, and she asked me to give it some time to settle and it actually turned out to be a perfect match. But just to be sure I took both samples home and 330 did end up looking a bit more yellow on my skin after oxidizing. 310 is my perfect match and its description is medium to tan skin with very warm undertones. At first, the foundation felt a bit runny on my hand and I was worried that it'd not provide the full coverage that my acne scarred skin needs. I was so wrong! It is buildable to say the least. It stays on without budging. If this foundation is used with the Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Instant Retouch Primer (I'll get to this one in a second), this foundation works like a dream. It's a matte foundation so it's just perfect for normal, combination and oily skin types. According to the website, it works great for dry and sensitive skin too. I love this foundation and I think the price point is great too. My favorite foundation is the Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation so for me to like anything else would mean that the foundation has to be really good and Fenty Beauty is amazing! For $34, let's just say, this foundation is a steal!
3. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Instant Retouch Primer - The Fenty Beauty foundation goes amazingly well with this primer. It retails for $32 and is a great primer for the skin, especially, if you have combination to oily skin and pores.
It does a great job blurring imperfections and creating a clean slate to apply your foundation. The consistency is similar to a moisturizer and it smells heavenly! I had not even intended to purchase this primer but when I was given a sample of the foundation, the Sephora representative at the Prudential Center in Boston, gave me a sample of the primer and asked me to use it with the foundation for best results. The first thing that I fell in love with was the fragrance! It smells so good but it's not too overpowering if you are worried about that. It's oil-free and it feels moisturizing and smooth. It feels like a lotion and does not have that typical silicone feel that most primers have. My absolute favorite primer which I love to the moon and back is the the Guerlain L’Or Radiance Primer (I intend to do a detailed post about this primer as it's my favorite) and that one retails for $74. So I do not mind switching it with the Pro Filt'r Instant Retouch Primer once in a while!
4. Urban Decay Heavy Metals Metallic Eyeshadow Palette - The holiday palettes by Urban Decay are always so colorful and exciting! In the previous years, I have purchased the Spectrum Palettes and I also own a Vice Palette. This year, Urban Decay came out with a range of foiled/metallic shadows with colors ranging from the warm to the cool spectrum. This eyeshadow palette has all the colors you can imagine and they have a very beautiful metallic finish. This palette has jewel tones and neutrals to create amazing day or night time looks.
Urban Decay claims that each shade in this palette is brand new and it's a new formula. Personally, I find the shades really buttery and smooth. The pigmentation is excellent and the shadows do not crease or disappear even after a good 8 hours. The shades really pop if used generously with Mac's Prep + Prime Fix+. You can use any spray though. These shadows are just so pretty to look at and the formula is stunning.
While the beautiful lavender case is cute to look at and is creative, I am not a fan of it by any means. It's difficult to hold when applying the shadows. Also, it feels a bit bulky. It slides in and locks inside so that's a good thing but initially, I had to figure out how the packaging worked. It slides out from only one side, FYI. Not really intuitive. Having said that, I still love the palette with its bomb shades. You will need to use an additional palette to create looks since this one has no matte shades. Hence, this palette might not be great to travel with unless you're carrying another palette with you. It retails for $55 and is limited edition on Sephora's website. Actually, since I'm late by 2 months, it's currently on sale and the new price is only $39! If you like fun bold colors or metallic/shimmery shades, you will not be disappointed with this palette.
5. Marc Jacobs Snake Charmer 5-Piece Petite Enamored Hi-Shine Gloss Lip Lacquer Collection - Everyone loves Marc Jacobs' lip glosses. Jaclyn Hill raves about them and so do other YouTube gurus and influencers. If I am not wrong it won the Best of Beauty Award by Allure in the lip gloss category in 2016 and they won another year as well. Even though I am crazy about lip glosses, I never actually got around to trying one of Marc Jacobs' lip glosses. So, when this set came along, I was quite excited as it gives you a range of colors and finishes for a not-so-bad price of $39. I mainly purchased this set for Sugar Sugar (a cult favorite), Ch-Ch-Changes and Skin Deep. While I love how Raspberry Berret and Boys Don't Cry look inside the containers but I'm not sure how they'll look on my lips! Here's a quick rundown of the different shades and their finishes:
- Sugar Sugar - It's a champagne gold shimmer and has a shimmer finish
- Skin Deep - It's a taupe mauve shade that's opaque and has a high shine finish
- Raspberry Berret - A raspberry plum color that's opaque with a high shine finish
- Boys Don't Cry - An opaque grape-purple shade with a high shine finish
- Ch-Ch-Changes - It's a duo-chrome plum with a blue-green shift lip gloss and a shimmer finish
This set is a great way to try different shades if you're a fan of lip glosses. I am not a fan of the name of the set or the design as I don't like anything to do with snakes and that's just a personal thing! I have applied Sugar Sugar and now I understand what the hype is all about. It's so creamy but not at all sticky. Skin Deep and Ch-Ch-Changes are great too. These glosses provide unbelievable shine and can give you an appearance of having fuller lips. It's not a plumper though. It has a cooling mint scent which usually is not something I like but it's so subtle that I do not mind it at all. Get this set of opaque and sheer glosses to shine bright like a diamond!
5. Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray - To be honest, I bought this spray because I love the Surf Foam Spray Blow Dry spray by Bumble and Bumble which my stylist uses on my hair. However, since I do not blow dry on a daily basis I thought perhaps the Surf Spray which is actually a texture spray would smell similar being from the same line. Unfortunately, that was not the case. While it does hint of a similar fragrance but it is very subtle to be noticed. As a texture spray though, it does the job. It does add texture to your hair and gives you volume and a nice matte finish. It is salt-infused and has seaweed as one of the ingredients. It also adds a layer of protection with coconut water that is supposed to shield the hair from UVA and UVB rays, thus, retaining moisture. I have used this spray a couple of times since I got my package and I really love it.
It's expensive though. It retails for $27 but I think it's worth it. It gives a nice breezy appearance to your hair to mimic a beach look. It makes your hair soft and gives you a fresh and defined look. Bumble and Bumble carry a very similar texture spray called Salt Infusion that is supposed to the exact same thing as the Surf Spray. Salt Infusion is supposed to be a newer and a better version of Surf Spray, however, the reason why I didn't get the new one is because a lot of reviewers complained of greasy hair. I anyway have greasy hair so I do not need a texture spray to make my hair even more greasy! No, thank you. The only difference that was shown in an image on Sephora is that the Surf Spray is for fine to medium hair and the Salt Infusion is for medium to thick coarse hair. I really like the Surf Spray and I'll continue using it and monitoring the health of my hair. It also comes in a travel friendly mini size if you want to try it out.
6. Alterna Haircare Caviar Repair RX Instant Recovery Shampoo and Conditioner - It is not my first time using Alterna Haircare line as I have used the Caviar Anti-Aging® Replenishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner before. That duo was stunning. I made a mistake to continue experimenting as I love trying new products. I used the duo in 2015 for the first time and now in 2017, after having tried a bunch of shampoos and conditioners, I am back to Alterna Haircare. However, this time I am trying out the Repair RX Instant Recovery Shampoo and Conditioner instead because I feel with my hair type, I don't need the original moisturizing version. I have used the Caviar Repair RX Instant Recovery Shampoo and Conditioner for two months now with excellent results.
My hair is left smooth and soft and does not get greasy the next day. I use this pair 2 times a week and once a week I use my Christophe Robin line (dandruff shampoo, purifying salt scrub and a regenerating mask) which I absolutely love. I have used quite a few shampoo brands in the last 2 years including Living Proof, Drybar and even the popular Ouai. I have no complaints about Living Proof and Drybar but the Ouai one was terrible. I'm never getting another Ouai shampoo and conditioner in my life. This is when I decided to go back to Alterna Haircare and I'm glad I did. My hair definitely feels healthy. Individually, the shampoo and conditioner retail for $34 each. If you buy the duo in a set, it's only for $57 which is a terrific deal. I really love the Alterna Haircare line. Their products are sulfate, phthalate and paraben free.
7. Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo - I have tried a few dry shampoos in the past including the ones by Dry Bar and Nirvana and James from Sephora and liked both of them very much. They smell pleasant (I have tried Black by Nirvana and James and it smells exactly like the perfume) and do the job. One of the main reasons for me to try Living Proof is because I am a fan of their normal shampoo and conditioner. Also, the duo comes with a travel size bottle which is very useful.
The set is for $22. I have used it a couple of times in the last two months and I really like it. It smells great and does a great job eliminating oil and other unwanted pollutants. The hair stays oil-free throughout the day. The best part is the dry shampoo is also sulfates, phthalates and parabens free. If you want to avoid shampooing your hair everyday and face issues with oily hair like I do, the Living Proof PhD Dry Shampoo Duo is worth your money.
This rounds up my first VIB Sale Haul of November. Here are images of two free goodies that I also managed to add to my shopping basket. The first one is a cute tray which I received upon redeeming my points and the second one is my birthday gift (Tarte) from Sephora.
This wraps up my very long haul post! Please note that some of the products might no longer be available as they were limited edition. Until, my next mini-haul post, have a good one!